Monday, December 10, 2007

Broken Flowers

DAN - This is the first film I saw that was directed by Jim Jarmusch. At the time, I wasn’t familiar with his style of storytelling, and I didn’t like the film. Upon seeing this movie for a second time, I was able to enjoy it much more. Broken Flowers took me on a journey with the main character that had me rooting for him beyond the ending.

The film follows Don Johnston, played by Bill Murray, who receives an anonymous letter in the mail informing him that he has a son. He travels across the country, visiting old flames in search for the one who sent the note. During his trip, he interacts with a number of unique characters that are portrayed by experienced actors who, once again, add something special to Jarmusch’s film. The film spends enough time with Don that the viewer gains an understanding of who he is, despite his introverted personality. Broken Flowers led me to sympathize with Don. It left me wanting to know where his life goes after the credits roll.

No comments: