Friday, December 21, 2007

Empire of the Sun

DAN - I had seen this film when I was a child, though I could only recall one scene from it. Steve had told me that I should watch it, and I usually enjoy Spielberg’s movies, so I was looking forward to it. On top of that, I was interested in seeing Christian Bale as a child actor. I was surprised by Bale’s performance, which is really what makes Empire of the Sun a noteworthy film.

This is a traumatic film about a British boy struggling to survive in China during World War II. I’m surprised I was allowed to watch it when I was young; it could have given me nightmares. Spielberg’s direction and John Williams’ score convey a feeling of hopelessness that coincides beautifully with the story. Bale, though being only thirteen years old in this movie and without formal training, gives a stellar performance – a highlight of his career.

No comments: