Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Prestige

DAN - This was my second viewing of this film. The first time I saw The Prestige, I left the theater with a barrage of questions floating around in my mind. I knew it was a good film, but I gained more appreciation for it upon this second screening. This film about magicians is a magic trick itself, and it is performed almost flawlessly.

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman each give intriguing performances that can be more appreciated the second time around. Bale in particular displays nuances that might go unnoticed if the viewer isn’t paying close attention. The film’s director, Christopher Nolan, has yet to let me down. His direction of this film is as good as any I’ve seen. I found that the film’s ending can be predicted before its reveal, but it’s the journey toward the conclusion that really makes The Prestige something unique.

No comments: